[Xen-users] Xen and routed network

Hello Xen Users.

A little bit on how I got networking to route using Xen:

- Compile dom0 and domU kernels with Advanced routing support

- My doms all have dual nics on separate networks.
     - dom0 connects to two different networks and acts as a router for domU's
     - domU creates a separate subnet on each interface and traffic is routed through dom0

- I used policy based routing to create additional routing tables for each interface and source routing to direct traffic
     - add tables in /etc/iproute2/rt_tables

- In all doms I create a default route for each interface using the local nic's address as the gateway
     - ip rule add from 192.168.168.0/24 table r1
     - ip route add default via 192.168.168.2 table r1  (address for local nic)

- In dom0 I create additional tables specifying the next hop for domU traffic
     - ip rule add from 192.168.167.0/24 table r2
     - ip route add default via 192.168.168.1 table r2  (address for next router in the chain)

- In my xen config file, I specify the vif name, and changed the sxp file to use network-route and vif-route

- I modified vif-route to assign an IP address to the vif interface based on vifname parameter

I hope this information is helpful.  And I would like to thank xen users who's input I used to make this work.

Max Baro
Technical Support Representative
FACTS Services, Inc.
(305) 284 - 7440