RE: FW: [Xen-users] Memory management questions

To: "'Michael Heyse'" <mhk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: FW: [Xen-users] Memory management questions
From: "Satoshi Uchida" <s-uchida@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:04:01 +0900
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 02:11:25 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi.

> I have to do a `xm mem-max` before setting the amount of memory with
`xm mem-set'.

Yes.
mem-max is braking for increasing memory, but  is not decrease for
allocated memory.
If amount of memory when mem-max is smaller than allocated memory,
I seem to that system outputs error messages by other causes
(ex.netfront).

> Right after it's up, `cat /proc/meminfo` in dom2 shows a MemTotal of
775108k as expected

Really?
In my environments, MemTotal is shown correctly.
(But, LowMemoryTotal is not correctly.)

>  I thought that the balloon driver only allocates/frees memory but
doesn't actually do memory hot(un)plugging?

I seem it too.
In my understanding,
 First, balloon driver create list of available memory address from
memory or mem attributes in extra.
 Then, by communication HyperVisor, available memory within list
allocated into inactive list in OS or
 securing memory from allocated one is freed.
 Therefore, it is delicate that this mechanism called hot plug.

In my guess,

 1. If extra mem attributes in each domains is not all RAM size,
     by repeating to use balloon function,
     actual memory has free aria, but one domain can not use.
     (by hard limit, allocation of memory is overborne.)

 2. If you add physical memory modules,
     you must reboot xen environments.

In this The joy would be cut.

Thanks,