Re: [Xen-users] Xen handling of graphics card

To: "Petersson, Mats" <mats.petersson@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen handling of graphics card
From: Jayesh Salvi <jayeshsalvi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:10:03 -0600
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jean-Eric <jec@xxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:16:49 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> > Xen offers vga emulation through a VNC backend.  The
> Xen-Windows video
> > driver you speak of would probably just be a VNC driver that turns
> > graphic commands directly into VNC encoding rather than
> traversing the
> > VGA emulation layer.  Perhaps this beast already exists?
> Maybe this
> > is
>
> You mean that Xen has it own VNC server embedded?
> Or does it depend on an external one managed by the OS?

The VNC server is managed by Dom0.

 I am confused by this discussion. As I understand it, VNC server is a tool which runs irrespective of the presence of any graphics card. I ran a VNC server inside domU and connected to it from a vnc client in dom0. I am sure vice-versa is also possible. And since VNC servers are available for all platforms (including windows and MAC), in VT environment when windows will be run in domU, you can run a VNC server inside guest  Windows and connect to it from dom0 or any other machine (provided there is network connection between these virtual machines).

I don't know how VNC server/client renders images or marshals them over wire (may be they have some in built emulated stuff), but I am pretty sure they don't use native graphics card. That is why even though VNC will solve the problems of GUI to guest OSes, it won't solve problems like playing high end games in guest windows instance.