Re: [Xen-users] Installing proprietary software on XEN3-based systems...

To: Simonetti Ferdinando <Ferdinando.Simonetti@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Installing proprietary software on XEN3-based systems...
From: Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 23:09:53 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:16:28 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Simonetti Ferdinando wrote:
> My boss says: "if you want to connect this system to my S.A.N. you have
> to install IBMsdd package!" (proprietary multipathing software).

No go.
But take a peek over at dm-devel, from what I've heard lately their
multipathing software is quite good.  At least I saw a posting a
couple months ago where someone proclaimed the device-mapper multipath
software to be much better than their proprietary software from IBM.

> Needed glibc-and-so-on versions for Oracle 9.2.0.7 on RHEL4...

No problem here, looks like it's all open source.
Just a matter of compiling things.

> Additionally, I'm thinking to "consolidate" the corporate firewall
> (actually running FW-1 commercial software on RH7.2)... And this will be
> ANOTHER nightmare, I think... :(

Assuming that Xen will soon be able to run standard kernels unmodified
on a VT CPU, you could use the Linux version of FW-1 (SecurePlatform),
which should probably run well under Xen considering that it's a Linux
box and Linux/Xen is receiving a lot of testing.

You might want to wait till PCI passthru makes it into Xen 3.0 so you
can have hardware-level network performance on your firewall.  That
will also be a good thing if you decide at some point in time that you
need a hardware VPN accelerator.

For a conclusion I'd probably say that it's an interesting project, it
sounds like it's doable, but it's probably going to take a *lot* of
tinkering to get it to work :-).