[Xen-users] Re: cow implementation

Molle Bestefich wrote:
Are you going to do performance tests?

Finding out which one of UnionFS, cowloop and minifo:
http://www.denx.de/wiki/bin/view/Know/MiniFOHome

is the best performer would be very relevant when running multiple
instances in virtual machines!

Finding out which one is actually *stable* would be interesting enough for me.

UnionFS is not enough of a lookalike to be reliably used as a root filesystem: /proc/<pid>/exe links point to the underlying filesystems (breaking several distributions' tools for checking daemons' status); there's funkiness with mmap; and it's quite crash-prone. Granted, I'm trying to run a full SuSE image with Oracle on top, so I'm perhaps demanding more than some users might -- but in my case, UnionFS is simply not stable enough... yet. There's progress being made, though, and I'm watching the list.

mini_fo looks interesting; I'll give that a try.