[Xen-users] Re: Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. Backend

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. Backend device not found.
From: Anand Kumria <wildfire@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 12:04:48 +1100
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 01:17:21 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 22:19:57 +0000, Konstantinos Pachopoulos wrote:

> Hi,
> i have seen a post with the same title, but didn't
> help a lot -it mentioned, that the image was for LVM,
> which i don't think is my case.
> I downloaded the debian31 image from
> http://jailtime.org. Initially, i had some problems
> and changed the configuration file a little. Here it
> is now:
> -----------
> kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xenU"
> memory = 256
> name = "debian.3-1"
> nics = 1
> #dhcp = "dhcp"
> disk =
> ['file:/mnt/store2/xen/debian/debian31.img,sda1,w']
> root = "/dev/sda1"
> -----------
> However,
>
> vakhos:/mnt/store2/xen/debian31# xm create -c
> debian.3-1.xen.cfg
> Using config file "debian.3-1.xen.cfg".
> Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected.
> Backend device not found.
>
> Ideas? Thanks

I'm assuming you are using Xen-3.0? I've found that if this error occurs
you can change the backend devices and boot (once again) but that once the
domU shutdowns down, those backend devices are no longer available.

You can continue to run through a large potential list of backend devices
but if you are doing a lot of create/destroy sequences you'll eventually
run out.

Cheers,
Anand