RE: [Xen-users] "netdev watchdog" error and non-working sis900 networkca

To: "henning" <henning_sprang@xxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] "netdev watchdog" error and non-working sis900 networkcard - solution
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 17:46:54 -0000
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 17:52:18 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 > Ian Pratt wrote:
> > Yes. The acpi= line must go on the *xen* command line,
> which will then
> > pass it to linux.
> >
> Sorry, I do not understand that completely - you say it
> _must_ go in the xen command line -  but In my case, putting
> it in the kernel command line instead makes my network work.
>
> Before you said using acpi=off is bad, probably meaning
> "putting acpi=off in the xen command line is bad" - is it not
> so bad anymore, now that you know I do not put this in the
> xen command line? Or is it even worse?

Xen and Linux must agree on whether they're using the ioapic/acpi or
not. If the apci= parameter goes on the xen command line, xen will also
add it to Linux's.

Using acpi=off is far from ideal -- its much better to use an ioapic if
you have one.

> Most important to me, can I stay with this setup, or should I
> test what happens when I put it in the xen command line and
> tell you what happens?

Was you're problem that the network failed intermittently when allowing
the ioapic to be used? If so, I'm very interested. If it was just that
it didn't work at all then that suggests a bios bug (possibly solveable
by an upgrade), and isn't a big deal.

Ian