RE: [Xen-users] What hardware should I be considering?

To: "Eric Peterson" <srcfoo@xxxxxxxxx>, Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] What hardware should I be considering?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <mats.petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:39:33 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:43:05 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Xen 3 with PAE or in 64-bit mode will allow you to use > 4GB RAM (2 ^ 36 = 16 GB in PAE and 2 ^ 40 = 1024 GB of physical memory in 64-bit mode).

It will use Dual core processors just fine - Xen 3 supports a fairly large number of processors, I think someone was trying out a 64 CPU machine a few months back.

I don't know much about SATA vs. SCSI RAID, I'm using SATA in a single disk mode on one of my machines here and it works just fine - but that's just a single disk and just "happens" to be SATA because that's the disk the machine came with - not by my choice, just what it happened to have. Certainly a lot cheaper to use SATA or IDE disks if you want lots of space ;-)

As to file/LVM, it does depend a lot on what your target would be and how often for instance you need to resize your partitions.

--
Mats