Re: [Xen-users] EVMS in dom-U

To: Jim Henderson <his_jimboness@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] EVMS in dom-U
From: Steve Dobbelstein <steved@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 14:33:04 -0600
Cc: evms-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:36:18 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jim Henderson <his_jimboness@xxxxxxxx> wrote on 12/01/2005 11:56:08 AM:

> Hello,
>
> I am using XEN 2.0.7, kernel 2.6.11.12, EVMS 2.5.2.
>
> I am trying to use EVMS in my domU but it is not detecting a "virtual"
> disk.  I get the following error when issuing evms_activate -d debug:
> ---
> Dec 01 17:20:34 samba _8_ LocalDskMgr: get_geometry: Error getting
> geometry for disk sda: 38: Function not implemented.
> ---
> So sda is "seen", but evms doesn't like it because-- it would appear--
> it can't get the drive's geometry.

<snip>

> So the question is: Is there something unique about xen disks in domU
> that might cause EVMS to fail reading the disk geometry?  What else
> might be the cause?

Hi, James.

The Local Disk Manager in EVMS has had some recent changes to its algorithm
for getting the geometry of the disk.  The changes have not yet made it
into an official release.  (2.5.4 should come out "very soon".)  Here is a
patch built from the current CVS tree.  It should apply to 2.5.1, but the
offsets may be wrong.
(See attached file: localdskmgr.patch)

If the patch applies and you still have problems, then we will have to look
at the ioctls to get the disk geometry.  It may be that EVMS needs another
tweak to handle the ioctl.  It may be that Xen needs to respond to the
ioctl correctly.

Steve D.