Re: [Xen-users] Re: Xen for network services (aka web/mail/dns etc)

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Xen for network services (aka web/mail/dns etc)
From: Simon <greminn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 10:39:18 +1300
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:39:16 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 12/1/05, Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So long as the system is up to the CPU and IO load you'll be placing on
> it (and without knowing your load, it's hard to say much), you shouldn't
> have trouble. However, a few pieces of advice:

The load on the current mysql server is -0.1 average.

> - Move your MySQL instance into a DomU, even if it's not as convenient
> as you'd like.

I have been thinking of leaving this as a completly seperate server
and purchasing new equiptment for running Xen on. I have been looking
at IBM xSeries 446 rack gear with dual 3.0Ghz Xeon 'Irwindale'
processors.

In looking at new gear? What would be the best processors to concider?

> - If you aren't using LVM, seriously consider using it; it makes storage
> management much more reasonable.

Yep - will do. We are tesing with disk images at the moment (only been
installed for a day or so - just to play with).