Re: [Xen-users] Keeping time in dom0 and domU

To: Alex Tomkins <tomkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Keeping time in dom0 and domU
From: Timur Irmatov <irmatov@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:53:08 +0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:53:15 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 11/22/05, Alex Tomkins <tomkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 09:53:24AM +0500, Timur Irmatov wrote:
> > At the moment, clock in dom0 is about 8 minutes ahead of real time,
> > and I see in logs that ntp server is slowly correcting it (something
> > about half a minute per day).. But I don't see a clock in domU
> > changing.. There is a difference between what date says on these
> > machines..
> >
> > It seems that clock in domU is not updated.. By the way,
> > independent_wallclock is set to 0, and I cannot set time through "date
> > -s" in domU..
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Use the ntp.org <http://www.ntp.org/> NTP server instead.  OpenNTPD
> keeps the clock in sync for dom0, but fails to update for any domU's.
>
> You won't need to deal with independent_wallclock in domU after
> switching.

May be I failed to clearly describe what I see..

In dom0, openntpd *works* fine.. What bothers me is the difference
between clocks (what "date" shows) in dom0 and domU.. At the moment
difference is about 30 seconds.

The docs says that domU takes it clock from dom0, but it doesn't.

--
Timur Irmatov, JID: thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx