Re: [Xen-users] Error "Device 0 (vif) could not be connected"

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 09:05:23PM -0500, wei huang wrote:

> The udev -V command outputs nothing on my system. And udevinfo -V
> outputs 039. So I believe the else
> branch gets executed. And I check that xen-backend.agent is there in
> /etc/hotplug. Is this the problem? Do I have to install a newer version of
> udev to make the whole thing work?

That makes sense.  I think the intention here is to use udev if it is version
059 or greater, or to use the older hotplug approach otherwise.  Your system
should be using hotplug, in that case.  From the log message below, it looks
like your hotplug is OK, since the vif-bridge script is running.

> I tried manually copy your xen-backend.rules to rules.d but it doesn't
> seem to help.
>
> And I find entry like this in /var/log/messages after xm create fails:
>
> Nov  7 20:40:56 c5xen kernel: e100: peth0: e100_watchdog: link up, 100Mbps,
> full-duplex
> Nov  7 20:40:56 c5xen kernel: ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
> Nov  7 20:40:57 c5xen kernel: xenbr0: port 2(peth0) entering learning state
> Nov  7 20:40:57 c5xen kernel: xenbr0: topology change detected,
> propagating
> Nov  7 20:40:57 c5xen kernel: xenbr0: port 2(peth0) entering forwarding state
> Nov  7 20:41:44 c5xen ntpd[3633]: synchronized to LOCAL(0), stratum 10
> Nov  7 20:42:47 c5xen logger: /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge: brctl addif xenbr0
> vif1.0 failed

So this line here says that we have failed to add the vif to the bridge.  Do
you intend to use bridged networking?  If so, is the bridge up?  You can check
using brctl show.

Usually, your bridge would be brought up by the network-bridge script, which
would be run by xend at start-of-day.  This is configured in
/etc/xen/xend-config.sxp, in the network-script option.  If you are using this
option, then presumably the network-bridge script is failing.

You can run the network-bridge script manually like this:

/etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start

and then check your /var/log/messages for error messages again.

The network-bridge script has a few options.  These are discussed in the Xen
distribution's example xend-config.sxp.

HTH,

Ewan.