Re: [Xen-users] Xen driver domain...character device?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen driver domain...character device?
From: Ernst Bachmann <e.bachmann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 13:05:52 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:03:06 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 02 November 2005 18:05, dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to give a guest domain access to
> character device hardware such as a SCSI tape drive (/dev/st0 | /dev/nst0)?
>  I have recompiled the guest xenU kernel with hardware access and declared
> the pci SCSI card in the config file directive as follows:
> pci      = [ '4,3,0' ]
>
> The log file when started reports:
> [2005-11-01 17:24:57 xend] DEBUG (XendDomainInfo:1178) Creating pci device
> dom=7 bus=4 dev=3 func=0

You always give an entire PCI device to a domU, whatever device nodes the domU
driver creates for it is completely beyond the control of xen.

My quess would be you're missing the SCSI adaptor driver in domU, or don't
have scsi-tape support in it if it isn't working.

just recheck your domU kernel config, activate what you need and recompile.

if the tape device works as expected in dom0 (if you don't hide the pci device
from it), you might try using the dom0 kernel for your domU as well. (Don't
forget to install the right modules into the domU FS)

/Ernst