[Xen-users] Question regarding xen, physicals NIC's and VLANs

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Question regarding xen, physicals NIC's and VLANs
From: Daniel McNamara <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:37:15 +1000
Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:34:38 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi guys,

I have been given an interesting project by my work place that requires us to do some virualistation with a few funky caveats and I'm trying to find out if xen can fit into the requirments.

Essentially we'll have one machine with 5 physicals NIC's. The first will be used as the managment link for the host OS.

The other 4 we want to bind to seperate copies of guest OS running on the machine. Here's where it gets interesting. Each of the guest OS's will have the same IP, however each one will plug into a switch port allocated to different VLANs.

What I'm trying to find out is if this is possible with xen. Basically I want to lock off each of the 4 physical nics to each guest OS and ensure that they only talk to their appropiate vlan

What I'm not sure of is how the host OS handles the network connections with xen and wether it will be able to handle this setup.

I have not played a lot with xen but so far it's fitting a majority of our requirements.

I will be using fedora core 4 for both the host and guest OS's at this point.

Any help with this question would be appreciated.

Cheers

Daniel McNamara
Code Fish Sys Admin