[Xen-users] Re: porting vmware's vmdk to domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: porting vmware's vmdk to domU
From: Anand Kumria <wildfire@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 22:16:29 +1000
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:15:05 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:27:22 +0200, Sven Uebelacker wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Is there any experience of converting vmware's vmdk file to a domU image?
> Maybe via extracting vmdk (how?) -> build tar -> untar in domU?
>
> That would be very nice despite replacing the original kernel with a
> self-built one and worthy to write a script... :)

Well, qemu comes with a command (qemu-img) that can convert between
various image formats, such as: vpc bochs dmg cloop vmdk qcow cow raw

You ought to be able to use that to convert the vmdk into a raw image,
however it may not be sparse.  I've never had to use the command myself,
so it'd be interesting to hear how you go.

Regards,
Anand