Re: [Xen-users] porting vmware's vmdk to domU

To: Sven Uebelacker <uebelacker@xxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] porting vmware's vmdk to domU
From: Aaron // LT <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 02:57:46 +1000
Delivery-date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:55:47 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lately I have been creating xen domU images using vmware. But what i usually do is do a basic install in vmware, then do something like:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/osname bs=1024k count=size_megabytes
mkfs.ext3 /osname
mount -o loop /osnname /mnt
cp -ax /mnt/{root,dev,var,etc,usr,bin,sbin,lib} /mnt
mkdir /mnt/{proc,sys,home,tmp}
chmod 777 /mnt/tmp
umount /mnt
gzip osname

then i would FTP the image up to one of our xen servers and start testing, getting it running. The copying steps might be slightly different depending on what you want to copy across.

This isn't really the easiest way, but has been working great so far.
Regards,
Aaron

Sven Uebelacker wrote:

Hi!

Is there any experience of converting vmware's vmdk file to a domU image? Maybe via extracting vmdk (how?) -> build tar -> untar in domU?

That would be very nice despite replacing the original kernel with a self-built one and worthy to write a script... :)

Cheers,
Sven.