Re: [Xen-users] how to compile a xen kernel (on debian testing)?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how to compile a xen kernel (on debian testing)?
From: Ralph Passgang <ralph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:08:29 +0200
Cc: Matus Harvan <m.harvan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:06:12 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Am Freitag, 30. September 2005 14:10 schrieb Matus Harvan:
> On 2005-09-30 12:58, Ralph Passgang wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > it seems so that xen 2.0.7 (don't know about xen-testing or xen-unstable)
> > doesn't compile on debian UNSTABLE (sid) with the errors you saw. Some
> > weeks earlier the same xen version compiled without a problem.
> >
> > I can compile xen 2.0.7 on debian testing (etch) and debian stable
> > (sarge) without a problem (same source package).
>
> Well, I'm getting the same errors on debian testing. Could it be that
> you have not updated your debian testing recently or not yet removed
> some old packages?

No, I don't believe so. I am running a small but fine build-host with pbuilder
and some script to automaticly update & build debian source packages for
multiple releases.

Each release (woody, sarge, etch, sid) has it's own build pbuilder image
(minimal debian installation), which is automaticly updated once a night.
Every build process always starts in a fresh and clean build enviorment.

If you want I can also mail you the build log from last night where my
xen-2.0.7-2 package was compiled on etch (testing).

> At the moment I don't have a debian stable installation available.
>
> > Because I build my packages with some scripts on a special build-host I
> > have a build-log from xen 2.0.7 on debian unstable:
> >
> >  http://packages.debianbase.de/sid/i386/xen/xen_2.0.7-2.error
>
> I'm getting the same compile errors.
>
> >From the build-log, it seems you have the debian 2.6.11 kernel packages,
>
> but only locally. You're getting them from packages.debianbase.de,
> rather than ftp.debian.de:
> Get:1 http://packages.debianbase.de ./ kernel-patch-debian-2.6.11
> 2.6.11-7 [374kB]
> Get:2 http://packages.debianbase.de ./ kernel-source-2.6.11 2.6.11-7
> [36.4MB]

Yes, the official debian mirrors doesn't provide any kernel-source-2.6.11 for
sarge, etch or sid anymore.

I just put an older copy of this kernel in my build-system because the debian
xen package still needs this image to correctly compile xen (I haven't fixed
that in the debian package yet). Later in the build process the build script
downloads the 2.6.11 kernel from ftp.de.kernel.org and uses this kernel to
build xen. So the debian kernel is irrelevant.

> I have thought the debian kernel patch somehow patched the 2.6.11 kernel
> to compile with gcc-3.4. I have just downloaded the 2.6.11 kenel-source
> and debian patch from you. Will try to build the official debian xen
> package (2.0.6) from source again.
>
> Someone on the list said xen testing (2.0.8) should use kernel 2.6.12. I
> have just tried and vanilla 2.6.12 compiles on my debian testing. So the
> next thing to try out will be this one.
>
> I have seen you have already a debian package for xen 2.0.7. I guess you
> have done it yourself, as the official debian package seems to be still
> at xen version 2.0.6, right?

Yes, you can use it if you want.

For testing use this line in your /etc/apt/sources.list:

 deb http://packages.debianbase.de/etch/i386/xen ./

It is a normal xen 2.0.7 with two small patches:
 - a patch for a xm save/restore problem (patch by Ian Pratt (included already
in xen-testing)
 - a oatch which enables the build of sv (xensv)

There are NO xen kernel images in these packages, so you have to compile a
kernel for dom0 (any maybe domU's) on yourself.

if you want to compile the package yourself (and want to check if this works
on your testing host) use this line in your sources.list:

deb-src http://packages.debianbase.de/sources/xen ./
(you must have installed the debian kernel-source and kernel-patch-debian for
2.6.11 before compiling)

feedback appreciated :)

--Ralph