Re: [Xen-users] dual personalities

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] dual personalities
From: Kent Watsen <kent@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:54:33 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:52:35 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hehe, I used to do that as well, cp -a (archive).
This is what another xen-enthusist had posted on his blog...

Make sure your kernel has lvm support, check back in the list for more
details on this.

Initially, I thought that this suggestion was spot-on, but then I looked at the tail-end of the trace (below) and it seems that the kernel mounted the LVM-based filesystem OK:

    Waiting for device /dev/hdb2 to appear:  ok
     rootfs:  major=3 minor=66 devn=834
     fsck 1.36 (05-Feb-2005)
     Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x342 of format 3.6 with
     standard journal
     Blocks (total/free): 1310720/1139665 by 4096 bytes
     Filesystem is clean
     Replaying journal..
     Reiserfs journal '/dev/hdb2' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions
     replayed
     Checking internal tree..finished
     fsck succeeded. Mounting root device read-write.
     Mounting root /dev/hdb2
     ReiserFS: hdb2: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
     ReiserFS: hdb2: using ordered data mode
     reiserfs: using flush barriers
     ReiserFS: hdb2: journal params: device hdb2, size 8192, journal
     first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age
     30, max trans age 30
     ReiserFS: hdb2: checking transaction log (hdb2)
     reiserfs: disabling flush barriers on hdb2
     ReiserFS: hdb2: Using r5 hash to sort names
     No init found. Try passing init= optino to the kernel.
     umount2: Device or resource busy
      <0>Rebooting in 1 seconds..

In case anybody is wondering, I'm using the stock Xen-kernel that shipped with Suse 9.3... One thing I thought might be notable was that it suprised me that the "root" line didn't change - that is, in the LVM-based config file, the root is still set to "/dev/hdb2 ro"

Any other suggestions?

Kent