Re: [Xen-users] boot problem

On Friday 23 September 2005 14:46, Stephan Böni wrote:
> Hi
>
> After compiling/installing xen 3.0-devel with "make world; make install"
> i've changed my /boot/grub/menu.lst file with the following content:
>
> title XEN 3
>     kernel (hd0,2)/boot/xen-3.0-devel.gz dom0_mem=131072 console=vga
>     module (hd0,2)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-xen0 root=/dev/sda3 ro console=tty0
>
> When booting the system says something about a missing NFS-root and asks
> for a root floppy. Why it does not start from /dev/sda3?

The kernel always tries to use NFS root or floppy as last resort, when
everything else fails.

In your case its probably the SCSI hostcontroller driver that is missing or
fails initializing.
if you just compile with "make world; make install", it basically will use the
plain vanilla kernel configs, without drivers for fancy hardware.

So check your kernel config for the needed driver, if its there, but compiled
as module, try generating and using an initrd, otherwise recompile the
kernel, statically including the driver.

(just enter the kernel source directory inside the xen sources, "make ARCH=xen
menuconfig" should work from there)

/Ernst