Re: [Xen-users] More basic questions

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 01:22:37AM +0100, Paul Reilly wrote:
> 1) network ports?
>    When I start 'xend' it listens on 127.0.0.1 at ports 8000, 8001 and
>    9604 . Why does it need to do this?

Port 8000 is the HTTP port used to accept commands for Xen itself. I'm
not entirely certain what port 8001 does, however. Ports above 9600 are
for the individual domUs' consoles.

> 3) Custom dom0 and domU kernels?
>    I need to build custom kernels for specific hardware in dom0.
>    So I copied in my .config to 'linux-2.6.11-xen0' and rebuilt
>    the kernel with 'make ARCH=xen oldconfig'. I then copied the
>    files from this dir, to the install/boot dir like so:

Doing 'make ARCH=xen oldconfig' doesn't generate a kernel, it only checks
to see if there are any config options not set in your current .config
that need to, and if so, queries for their settings.

>    cp vmlinuz ../dist/install/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11.12-xen0
>    cp System.map ../dist/install/boot/System.map-2.6.11.12-xen0
>    cp vmlinux ../dist/install/boot/vmlinux-syms-2.6.11.12-xen0
>
>    is this correct?

Yes, though you probably don't need vmlinux-syms if you're using Xen 2.x.

> 4) Stopping and starting domU's ?
>
>    In my binary installation of XEN with domU running ttylinux,
>    yy domU's won't shutdown! If I issue a 'xm shutdown 4' command
>    'xm list' it shows domU4 is still running. Any ideas?

It can only ask the domain to shutdown. That doesn't guarantee that it
will do so. Doing an 'xm destroy' will actually terminate the domain by
force. There is an option you can pass to 'xm shutdown' to have it block
until the domain has shut down, though if you look at the console, if it
is going to shut down, you'll probably notice.

> 5) Man pages
>    Is there a man page for the 'xm' and other commands?
>    That would be really useful.

I don't believe so, but it is well documented on the Xen site in the
HTML and PDF documentation.

--
Derrik Pates
demon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx