RE: [Xen-users] Maximal RAM reservation for Linux-Dom0

To: "Subhabrata Bhattacharya" <xions.microcosm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jean-Christophe Guillain" <jcg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Maximal RAM reservation for Linux-Dom0
From: "Petersson, Mats" <mats.petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:34:51 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:41:15 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well, the Xen kernel itself will use some memory, and there may be
"holes" in the memory too (for example for ISA/BIOS space just under
1MB), so if you've got 512MB of memory in your machine, I don't expect
you to be able to give 512MB to the Dom0.

I'm not sure how much memory the Xen kernel uses, the code in the kernel
itself is about 3-400KB, 24KB of initialized data and 128KB of BSS, so a
good half a megabyte, but it will also allocate/reserve some other
memory areas, which I'm sure will amount to a fair bit more. For
instance, in the mm.c, there's a single allocation of 4MB for a
"mapcache". There are also many small allocations through xmalloc, that
build up to some amount of memory usage. How big that is, I can't really
estimate, because it's too many places to easily and quickly understand
what gets run how many times, etc.

--
Mats