[Xen-users] Re: Odd behavior?

To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Odd behavior?
From: Sean Dague <sean@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 10:21:51 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Patrick O'Rourke <porourke@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:20:23 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 03:08:36PM +0100, Mark Williamson wrote:
> > A subsequent restart of xend stopped the double listing of the domU.
> > However after this I could no longer get a console to the domU after the
> > restart.  This was on xen-unstable bits downloaded / built on 8/1/05.
>
> Sounds like the tools are a bit confused!  You might like to see if this goes
> away as the tools get "broken out" further.  After a few weeks of 3.0-testing
> if it's still there you should probably scream loudly :-)
>
> > p.s. One last question is that I often notice that the state presented
> > by "xm list" shows all blanks and was curious as to why that is.  Is it
> > something broken in my environment?  My machine is running FC4, but I am
> > not using the FC4 xen code, but the rather the latest (or fairly recent)
> > xen-unstable tree.
>
> If the domain has been pre-empted, it's not running 'r' (because it doesn't
> have the CPU), blocked 'b' (because it was pre-empted), paused 'p', crashed
> 'c' or stopped 's', so the state fields will be blank.  It's perfectly
> normal.

It might be really useful to change the display behavior to be much more
like what is returned with 'ps' for processes, with additional Xen states.
The 5 colums that never seem to show more than 1 at once (though it is
possible) seems very odd from an interface perspective.

Possible States (using PS states when appropriate)

R - running
B - blocked
P - paused
C - crashed
S - sleeping
H - halted (aka stopped)

As with ps you could have multiple state flags set (like SN), so getting rid
of the 5 columns wouldn't limit your options.

        -Sean