Re: [Xen-users] Has 2.4 kernel support ended on xen?

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Has 2.4 kernel support ended on xen?
From: Shahzad Chohan <shahzad.chohan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 12:58:35 +0100
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:57:02 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 8/2/05, Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I was just wondering whether the xen team has stopped
> > supporting the 2.4 kernel?
>
> It's always been a low priority activity, but the intention is for Xen 3
> to be able to support mainstream Linux 2.4 as a domU, but not as a dom0.
>
> > Basically the reason why I ask is becuase everytime I've
> > tried to build the 2.4 xen kernel under xen 3.0 (unstable) I
> > keep getting errors (usually about usb) so it made me wonder
> > whether the xen patches are being maintained.
>
> I think that's actually quite a trivial fix. In fact, I seem to recall
> fixing the same error at some point a few weeks, ago, so it may just be
> a case of a mercurial accident causing something to be resurrected.
>
> Patches welcome :-)  We could even have a 2.4 port maintainer...

Hey thanks for the reply.

I'd love to maintain something like that, but I don't know how to
program well in C. Although I'vw written basic C programs I've never
dealt with a complex C program. Is there a way to just build the 2.4
xenU kernel, without the xen0 kernel?

Many Thanks
Shaz