Re: [Xen-users] Understanding memory usage

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Understanding memory usage
From: Ernst Bachmann <e.bachmann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:01:53 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:00:21 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

On Monday 01 August 2005 19:21, Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
> if I want to use Xen on a machine with more than 4 GB of RAM, and devide
> RAM into portions of less than 4 GB for dom0 and each domU, do I
>
> - have to use kind of highmem mechanisms in the xen0 kernel or
> - have to compile the xen0 kernel as X86-64?

All kernels running (xen0 and xenUs) have to use the same method of accessing
Highmem, so all have to be PAE or 64bit or plain.
Mixing them is not possible and not planned IIRC.

That said, xen-2* doesn't have PAE or x86_64 support, so you'll be stuck with
3.something gigs of available ram (whatever your bios/pci devices leaves
untouched)

> Does X86-64 already work for xen0?

Should, but I never tested... thought about using EM64T for a while when my
new server arrived, but then decided it would be too much of a hassle cuz I'd
loose the ability to migrate my existing xen-2.0.6 domUs smoothly. Only lost
about 800mb or ram that way, and had enough left over... maybe when 3.0 is
stable ;).

/Ernst