Re: [Xen-users] lvm root partition

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] lvm root partition
From: Marcus Brown <marcusbrutus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:37:27 +1000
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:35:58 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi ppl,

Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

>Richard Heycock wrote:
>

>>Has anyone had any joy running lvm as the root partition on a domain 0
>>machine?
>>

>>I've download the 2.0.6 source and built that (I'm using xfs so I have
>>to compile from scratch -- the only difference is I've added xfs.) but
>>when I come to boot into the xen kernel it cannot find the root
>>partition.
>>

>I believe you don't have the correct initrd image for that version of
>xen kernel.
>
>By default, kernel modules are included in initrd, so using different
>kernel means you have to create a different initrd. In my case, to
>simplify things I include all disk drivers (SCSI, ext3, reiserfs, etc)
>and LVM driver in the kernel (not as a module), so I can use the same
>initrd image (which only contains executable and scripts, with no kernel
>module) for all versions of Xen kernels and native linux kernels.
>
>Regards,
>

>Fajar

I've been trying to get this going myself, under Debian.
In an attempt to keep the kernel as standard as possible, I've made sure
that almost everything is compiled as modules. This of course, means
that the lvm device mapper modules need to be in an initrd.
Attempts at using lvm2create_initrd didn't pan out so I modified a lot
of settings in /etc/mkinitrd (can post if required) ... (I've probably ended
up going overboard there :) ) ... and been successful in booting a dom0
on an lvm root.
My grub/menu.lst is:
    title           Xen 2.0 testing
    root            (hd0,0)
    kernel          /xen-2.0-testing.gz dom0_mem=131072 root=/dev/ram0
lvm2root=/dev/mapper/vg0-root physdev_dom0_hide=(00:0b.0) ro
console=tty0 noreboot
    module          /vmlinuz-2.6.11.12-xen0 root=/dev/mapper/vg0-root
console=tty0 ro noreboot
    module          /initrd-lvm2-2.6.11.12-xen0

The final thing to make it all work was to add defvs (grrr) .... oh
well, saw a
message somewhere that I couldn't use udev until 2.6.12, so I'll worry about
that later.

I've only just got it going, so I can't say exactly why it works
(stopped taking
notes hours ago;)) but should have a better idea soon.

btw: The hide command is for one of the network cards.

Marcus