Re: [Xen-users] basic question on how to compile 2.4 xen

To: Shahzad Chohan <shahzad.chohan@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] basic question on how to compile 2.4 xen
From: Michal Ludvig <michal@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:56:47 +1200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:55:46 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shahzad Chohan wrote:

> Can someone help me figure out a way to compile a 2.4 kernel in a 2.6
> system. Basically it keeps failing because it needs the genksyms
> package, which is provided in the modutils package from redhat, but
> obviously this isn't presetn on the 2.6 kernel.

genksyms comes from the modutils package. Either install modutils from
RPM or compile it from source:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/modutils/

Beware that 2.4 kernel doesn't play well with module-init-tools. You'll
need to have both modutils and module-init-tools installed, while e.g.
/sbin/modprobe will come from m-i-tools and /sbin/modprobe.old will be
the one of modutils. Ditto for insmod, depmod, rmmod, lsmod.

Michal Ludvig
--
* Personal homepage: http://www.logix.cz/michal