Re: [Xen-users] Firewall in a guest domain?

> I guess what I am asking is if I can install for instance IPCop on domain3
> and have it protect domains 0-9 or if I need to as you say run IPTables on
> domain0 to restrict the guests... can I filter all traffice through dom3
> or am I required to filter it through dom0 if I want any kind of
> filtering?

Ah well...

Here are some (not all) possible configurations, in increasing order of
complexity and theoretical security:

* Basic system, no firewalling, as the default.
* Add IPTables rules in dom0 to protect itself from the guests and outside
world, and protect and regulate the guests.
* Add IPTables in the domUs to protect themselves.  This could be at the
discretion of the users.
* Dedicate a physical device to a "firewall domain" and have it filter on that
interface for all the other domains.

The last seems closest to what you're proposing, there are a few people doing
this with success, although it's not as user friendly as it could be.

A workaround to assigning devices would be to bridge the ethernet device into
a guest, then have it filter at the IP (and above) level before delivering to
the other domains.  This would probably be a bit fiddly to set up but I think
people have done this too.

Cheers,
Mark