[Xen-users] Shared interrupt in 2 domains: cards disabled

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Shared interrupt in 2 domains: cards disabled
From: Arie Kraai <xen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 12:57:13 +0200
Delivery-date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 10:55:59 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Xen 2.0-testing gave me a problem when a domain (using a dom0 kernel)
tried to use a soundcard (hidden from dom0):

other_domain:/proc/asound# cat cards
0 [CK8S           ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK8S
                     NVidia CK8S with ALC850 at 0xff6fb000, irq 11

with the same IRQ as the network-card in dom0:

dom0:~# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  1:       1955        Phys-irq  i8042
 10:       4884        Phys-irq  libata
 11:      78834        Phys-irq  eth0
 12:       6489        Phys-irq  i8042
 14:       4688        Phys-irq  ide0

The card produced sound for 4 seconds, then went mute. Moreover, the
dom0 network-card also stopped operating (only xen-br0 still worked) and
could not be brought back to life, not even after stopping all domains
and xend:

dom0:~# ifup eth0
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
Failed to bring up eth0.

I had to reboot the system...
Is this a bug or should there be no shared interrupts at all between
domains?

Kind regards, Arie Kraai