Re: [Xen-users] Xen questions - Swap, networking and errors

To: Daniel Lang <dlang@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen questions - Swap, networking and errors
From: "M.A. Williamson" <maw48@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 Jul 2005 00:27:40 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:26:29 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This is my first time trying Xen.  I have installed Xen-2.0.6, on a
Debian Sarge server.  I have a few questions that I haven't been able to
find answers to in the documentation or FAQs.

OK, welcome to the community! I'll try and answer your questions. If there's anything you feel should be in a FAQ, feel free to get a Wiki account and add it at http://wiki.xensource.com.

1)When I boot xen0, the specified amount of RAM shows up in top
correctly, but the swap partitions I have are not activated.  When I
attempt to activate swap myself, I recieve the following error message:
        xen:/# swapon /dev/hde2
        swapon: /dev/hde2: No such device or address
The server has a mirrored RAID1 setup, and both MD devices are detected
and mounted properly.  However, I am confused about why the kernel does
not see the hard disk partitions themselves.  The disks are SATA drives,
and so at first I thought perhaps it didn't recongize the drives, but if
that were the case, I don't think either MD device would be detected
properly.  Is there a boot option that I have not seen to address this

Are all the drives in the machine the same? Are other partitions on hde in the RAID configuration.

If the drives are on different controllers (e.g. a couple of PATA and a SATA, as on some systems) then the default kernel config may not be building the drivers for hde but still builds enough drivers for the MD devices to work.

As a side note, what is a proper amount of RAM needed for xen0?  I have
not found any documentation really stating how much RAM is need for the
priveledged Xen instance.  The server itself has 4GB of RAM.  Should
xen0 have all 4GB of RAM to partition to the xenU domains?

RAM that you give to dom0 can't be allocated to domUs. 256MB should probably be enough for a slim dom0. If you use LVM snapshots that'll need to be larger though.

You can use the "balloon driver" to reduce the size of dom0 after booting if you need more memory for other domains.

2)With the default xend config, when I start xend the bridge device
xen-br0 is created.  However, after that I lose all network activity to
xen0.  I noticed that no vif devices were created, only xen-br0.
Initially, xen-br0 doesn't have an IP.  I've tried setting it to the IP
of eth0, and a 192.168.0.x IP, but I still cannot get networking up.

Sounds a bit broken... What should happen is that eth0's IP is transferred to xen-br0.

Do you have any existing bridge setup? Anything else unusual in your networking config?

I changed the xend config to use the network-route rather than network,
and when I start xend, networking doesn't go down, but xen-br0 is not
created.  I am not sure why the default network config is not working.
Do I need to make changes to the routing tables?

You won't get a xen-br0 if you're using the routed config - you don't need it. Don't know about the routing tables as I've never used the routed config myself.

<snip>
ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Device or resource busy
<snip>
vif-route up vif=vif1.0 domain=TestDomain mac=aa:00:00:62:e9:12

I am not sure why the error message LOOP_SET_FD: Device or resource busy
appears, since the loopback device I created the root filesystem on is
not mounted or being used.

What does ls -l /dev/loop* give you?

Cheers,
Mark

I have attached my xend-config and xenU config that appears to be
crashing.  Any help that can be offered is appreciated, especially links
to documentation that I might have missed.

Regards,

Dan Lang