[Xen-users] lvm root partition on Debian

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] lvm root partition on Debian
From: Richard Heycock <rgh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:59:02 +1000
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 03:58:26 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks to those who answered my last post about booting xen from an lvm
root partition. Well after much reading and messing about I got a good
idea of how to setup xen under debian using lvm as the root partition.

So here goes:

1 download the xen src distribution.
2 reconfigure the domain 0 to include:
  * devfs
  * cramfs
  * device mapper support -- Note this MUST be a module.
3 make install (from the xen directory)
4 run mkinitrd /boot/initrd.xen-2.06 2.6.11.10-xen0 -- obviously change
      the versions as needed)
5 setup grub as per the user manual.

devfs and cramfs are required by debian's mkinitd script and the device
mapper must be a module as mkinitrd checks the modules directory to see
if it has module support.

Hope this helps.

rgh

--
"Wickedness is a myth invented by good people to account for the
curious attractiveness of others" -- Oscar Wilde

Richard Heycock <rgh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
key fingerprint : 909D CBFA C669 AC2F A937 AFA4 661B 9D21 EAAB 4291