Re: [Xen-users] how to migrate guest OS to other servers without xen ins

To: Jeremy Fang <balanceinfotech@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how to migrate guest OS to other servers without xen installed
From: Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:25:59 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:25:06 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jeremy Fang wrote:
Hello All:
Currently I have xen system running RedHat enterprise version 3 and two Guest OS running on top of that in which one is run as RedHat 8.0 and the other is RedHat 7.2. All the applicaton software running on the two Guest OS are functioning well. My goal is find a way to migrate these two guest OS + its application to other two physical servers without xen running on that.
I don't need to do Live Migration.
Therefore, the questions are: 1) Is it feasible to do that ? 2) If it is feasible, how to do it and what tools do I need to achieve that ?

It sounds like a simple copy of your partition to the new machine. (Or, did I miss something?)

First, you should probably build kernels on the guests that can successfully boot the new servers(or have a verified boot cd handy).

If you can temporarily pull the drive, it might take less time to walk the drive to the new machine and cp -a or tar | tar to the harddrive in the new machine.

Basically you just need to transfer the filesystem(with permissions, links, etc) to the new server, tweak your /etc/fstab, and lilo/grub your kernel into place.

If they are large partitions, there is a tool on the samba website that supposedly compresses better than gzip or bzip2, but it's name now eludes me.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/