Re: [Xen-users] how to add Additional Domain

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how to add Additional Domain
From: Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:28:53 -0400
Cc: Jeremy Fang <balanceinfotech@xxxxxxxxx>, Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:27:51 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andrew Thompson wrote:
At this point, you should know definatively what bootloader you're using. Run to another computer and google that bootloader.

Your next step is to convince your bootloader to boot with /dev/sda1 as root instead of /dev/sda8.

You should hopefully see a list of your possible OS'es to boot(it will probably only show one, even though we all know you now have two.) With LILO, I believe you just type on the commandline the name of the instance you want to load then follow it with root=/dev/sda1

I've only had GRUB since I started using Xen, so I don't recall exactly what it looks like, but basically you need to tell it where a kernel is it can boot, and what partition to boot as /(root). Fortunately, GRUB can look into filesystems and help you with filename completion for th kernel.

Oh, forgot to mention. This is a one-time fix. You should use whatever method is prescribed by the bootloader on your machine to permanently convince it to boot to /dev/sda1.

I think GRUB is required for Xen, so go ahead and get it set up and configured there.

Being able to boot another partition is useful, but not necessary. It might not be a bad idea to keep a bootable kernel in the /boot of another partition. That way with a boot disk, you can boot to that partition if you hose your main install.

Make sure you're moderately happy with the partition scheme you've configured. I am currently minus my home Xen box because I used parted to redo my partitions and now GRUB just gives "Error 17" or something like that... I hope to straighten that out tonight.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/