Re: [Xen-users] Re: Kernel panic, unable to mount rootfs

To: "Matthew J. Harmon" <mjh@xxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Kernel panic, unable to mount rootfs
From: Yvette Chanco <yentlsoup@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:28:02 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:27:04 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you're getting that far (to starting the dom0) then grub might not
directly be the issue. I got that error message when I was using a
kernel (for dom0) that hadn't been compiled with support for my scsi
adapter. From the looks of your menu.lst, though, it seems you
probably did a custom build, so you would know what you included. My
only other guess is if there is an initrd image you haven't put in the
grub configuration?

On 6/20/05, Matthew J. Harmon <mjh@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Additionally, the menu.lst for grub is as follows:
>
> title Debian GNU/Linux, Xen 2.6.11xen0, testing 2005.06.18
> kernel=/xen.gz dom0_mem=32768 noreboot
> root (hd0,0)
> module=(hd0,0)/xen-linux-2.6.11charliexen0 root=/dev/sda2 ro console=tty0
> console=ttyS0 showopts selinux=0
> ### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
> ###[snip - all default]
>
> -M
>
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Matthew J. Harmon wrote:
>
> Alright, thank you for the "noreboot" kernel option!
>
> Here is the full err:
>
> Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
> VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(2,0)
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)
>
> Doing a bit of research on the error message, found the following threads on
> xen-devel:
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2004-10/msg00382.html
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2004-12/msg00470.html
>
> I'm thinking this might not be a xen problem, but a grub problem?
>
> Still working on the issue, any tips would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Matthew

-Yvette Chanco
www.option-c.com