Re: [Xen-users] help with "error extent to vbd failed: ... error 8"

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] help with "error extent to vbd failed: ... error 8"
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:08:56 +0100
Cc: Sascha Retzki <sretzki@xxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:14:36 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > My dom0-OS is NetBSD 3.0_BETA, btw. This may explain a lot,
> > > still I'd like to have as much detailed information as possible ;)

I imagine the error is just a "command not found error" - it's not a normal
Xend error.

> > I'll bet you'll need to hack the /etc/xen/scripts/block-file script to
> > work on NetBSD unless the syntax for losetup is identical.
>
> Ah, so those files are loopmounted, like in mount -o loop ...?

Yes, basically. (They're bound to a loop device but not actually mounted).

> (Net,Open, Maybe DragonFly)BSD use a different system, with slightly
> other syntaxes. Here is the diff I hacked quickly (just taking NetBSD
> into account):

Ah, great.  I thought it probably wouldn't work on BSD :-)  I did wonder what
the NetBSD guys had done about it.

<snip>
> If you prefer a different diff(1) method, tell me :)

Thanks for the patch.  We should get it merged once you can confirm
everything's working as expected!

> However, that gives me:
> Error: Error creating domain: vbd: Segment not found:
> uname=file:/xen/slackware-linux-10/linux.img
>
> I don't know how that "uname=" thing came into there

The "uname" format is the {file,phy,nbd}:/{path}:{other stuff} form we use to
describe the "source device" in dom0.

The "segment not found" message suggests that the device node output from the
block script was not found in /dev.  That's probably because you're stripping
off the "/dev" prefix in order to fit with the BSD command syntax.  Xend
probably needs the full path in order to find the device node - if you
prepend /dev to the name of the device before the script echos it then it
should work.

If you can get this working, then a patch would be very welcome.

Cheers,
Mark