Re: [Xen-users] Distribution to use

To: asaf@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Distribution to use
From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 07:14:09 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:13:21 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Asaf Maruf Ali wrote:
Hello
I am starting out on Xen. I have a P4 machine with 512Mb RAM. The only issue i am facing is selection of the right linux distribution.

If anyone can recommend one of the following:

a) slackware
b) debian
c) FC3

I noticed you didn't ask about gentoo.

I set up my xen system using gentoo and I've become increasingly disenchanted with gentoo as a distribution. It gives your fantastic control and has a wonderful up-to-date set of packages but the update process is killing me. It takes forever especially when you have five virtual machines all with different USE variables.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could automate the install process but it's so manual you can't help but sit there and babysit it. I usually have to spend something like eight hours per month managing the updates of six machines what with all the broken emerges and configuration file merging.

My vote would be for a debian variant like ubuntu. I have ubuntu running on my astronomy laptop and other than the fact I've had to build xephem and qastrocam by hand, it's been really wonderful in terms of management etc.

It's almost at a point where I am considering redoing my xen environment with ubuntu.

---eric

--
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.03/view.html?pg=5

The result of the duopoly that currently defines "competition" is that
prices and service suck. We're the world's leader in Internet
technology - except that we're not.