Re: [Xen-users] Suse 9.3 "kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable tomoun

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Suse 9.3 "kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable tomount root fs on unknown-block (8, 1)"
From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:37:56 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:37:06 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, e&v wrote:

>  hi david & thanks,
>
> the fstab is changed within the image to root / as /dev/sda1 :-)  and
> I assume that the ttylinux file rootfs.gz has the same root device
> "/dev/sda1" (... you can't change it anyway)
>
> ciao
>
> On 6/14/05, David_Schmidt@xxxxxxxx <David_Schmidt@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It's possible that the fstab is incorrect inside your image.  Make sure
> > it is mounting / as /dev/sda1.

No, this:

> > "kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> > unknown-block (8,1)"

means that the kernel could not recognize /dev/sda1

(8,1) comes from the major and minor numbers, e.g. :

   [root@am3 ~]# ls -ld /dev/sda1
   brw-rw----    1 root     disk       8,   1 Mar 23  2001 /dev/sda1

this would _not_ be an fstab issue, as the boot process has not
gotten that far yet.

> > disk = ['file:/home/name/vm1disk,sda1,w']
> > root = "/dev/sda1"

are you _sure_ that "/home/name/vm1disk" is correct? and can you
mount it via loopback (my apologies if this has been covered).

"name" seems pretty generic, I suspect you haven't changed it to
your userid, or updated it for the path on your system?

"unknown-block" sounds bad... like it isn't there, as compared to
being misformatted or the like.

-Tom