RE: [Xen-users] Current time

To: <David_Wolinsky@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Current time
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 22:04:23 +0100
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 21:03:34 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm trying to run kernel compilations on a VM and my times
> are better than on the host machine.  I'm using the time
> command, so I'm assuming its bugged.  I try to use hwclock,
> and it spits out nothing.  Is there an easy way to determine
> REAL time in a virtual machine?

The elapsed time reported by 'time' should be accurate. system and user
time may not be entirely correct, as the kernel doesn't really
understand that its not running the whole time.

hwclock won't work as the unprivileged guest isn't authorized to read
directly from the hardware clock. 'date' should work fine.

Ian