Re: [Xen-users] Secondary IP's not working

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Secondary IP's not working
From: Mario Minati <mario@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 10:12:36 +0200
Cc: Michael Warner <admin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 08:11:44 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Michael,

I think you should post some more infos, like output of ifconfig, route -n, brctl show and maybe iptables for dom0 and domU to understand the network settings better.

Regards,
Mario

Michael Warner schrieb:

Hello,

I'm working with a centos4 guest os and am having some trouble with assigning multiple IP's to the guest. In the guest machine I have created the proper entries in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts to bring the network up. Once booted I have a setup like this:

eth0 - 1.1.1.1
eth0:1 - 1.1.1.2

Now the problem is I can access the first IP from the outside world without a problem. But the second IP on eth0:1 does not work, when I try accessing it I get the domain0 machine instead of the guest. What I tried doing next is taking down eth0 and assigning 1.1.1.2 to it like so:

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 1.1.1.2 up

I still could not access the IP. But if I initiate an outgoing connection (ie ping a domain) then immediately it starts working. So my question is how can I get several public IP's working while booting the guest? The guest configuration looks like this:

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11.10-xenU"
memory = 512
name = "guest"
nics = 1
cpu_weight=5
vif = ['vifname=vps17519'];
disk = [ 'file:/opt/xen/vps17519/disk,sda1,w','file:/opt/xen/vps17519/swap,sda2,w' ]
root = "/dev/sda1 ro"

I start the domain by issueing this command:

xm create guest.cfg

Any help would be appreciated.

-Mike