[Xen-users] Xen device support

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen device support
From: Arijit Ganguly <aganguly@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 14:24:58 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 May 2005 21:24:18 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
All,

I have just got my hands dirty on Xen and  had a few questions.

1. Is it possible to connect virtual CD-ROM/Floppy devices to Xen. I don't see such parameters on the web page:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/readmes/user/user.html#SECTION03210000000000000000

2. In the disk configuration, we specify how devices on the host appear inside the guest. Something like [phy:/dev/sda1,/dev/hda1,w'] means that the logical device /dev/sda1 appears as the logical device /dev/hda1 insode the Xen guest.

Is it possible for Xen itself to detect the preexisting partitions (which we have created from domain 0)  on the device we are trying to connect. Something like:

[phy:/dev/sda,/dev/hda, 'w'], just mapping some device to a virtual physical device on guest. The ghuest OS be able to detect the partitions drawn on /dev/sda from domain 0
I tried but does't seem to work.

a. The device would appear as /dev/hda0 and not as /dev/hda.
b. fdisk even shows the partitions on the /dev/hda0, but /dev file system doesn't have any corresponding devices.

Essentially, we seem to be talking more on the logical drives on the guest (a higher level abstraction when compared to full virtualization as VMware or virtual PC would do).

Looking forward to replies.

Arijit