Re: [Xen-users] POWER5 & XEN

To: mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] POWER5 & XEN
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 18:55:42 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 May 2005 23:55:19 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gábor Radics wrote:

Dear all,

if I understand well on the IBM's power5 processor an sHype Hypervisor
running which makes the same job what Xen makes on an x86 processor.
I also read the Xen article in LINUX FORMAT (June 2005), that xen's
powerPC-s port is under way.
IBM has a hypervisor for power and x86 called rHype (http://www.research.ibm.com/hypervisor) that is Open Source. There is also a closely related research project at IBM called sHype to design a secure hypervisor architecture (that was initially based on rHype). Think SELinux for hypervisors.

There is also an effort to develop a Xen port for the power architecture (http://xeno-ppc.bkbits.net).

There is another effort to build a secure hypervisor architecture for Xen called XenSE. Even though this seems like a lot of different projects (and a heck of a lot to keep straight) they are all very closely related and there's a lot of collaboration.

Thanks
Gabor