Re: [Xen-users] Monitor Network Traffic per Domain

To: Xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Monitor Network Traffic per Domain
From: Fernando Maior <fernando.souto.maior@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 08:56:32 -0300
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 May 2005 11:55:57 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 5/22/05, Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > This works partially, but I need a way to monitor total
> > usage over time.
> > > So any script that relies on statistics from each vif will
> > get thrown
> > > off if I ever restart a domain or start them in a different order.
> >
> > yes - I had the same problem. So I came up with the following
> > solution:
> >
> > I installed the ifrename tool (ifrename package in debian)
> > and I changed the /etc/xen/scripts/vif-brige script in a way
> > that it renames the vif before adding it to the bridge with a
> > name based on the last byte of the mac address assigned to
> > the virtual interface. My changes look like this (unified diff):
>
> As I recall, you can just set the name of the vif by setting the
> "vifname=" parameter as part of the vif line in the config file.
>
> Neither approach will meet your requirement of having the stats survive
> a reboot of the domain.
>
> Best,
> Ian

Hello Ian,

I did not find any references about vifname in the documentation.
Also, when I changed my dom1 config file, and try creating it,
I receive:
Error: Invalid vif specifier:
mac=aa:00:00:00:01:00,bridge=xen-br0,vifname=vif1.0

The line in the config file is:
vif = [ 'mac=aa:00:00:00:01:00,bridge=xen-br0,vifname=vif1.0']

And I am using Xen 2.0.5 from source. How to use vifname?

Tks.
--
Bye,
Fernando Maior