Re: [Xen-users] Is using w! safe to share data between domains?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Is using w! safe to share data between domains?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 16:18:28 +0100
Cc: "John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 19 May 2005 16:07:33 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Even if you eliminated the race condition, in general, it's probably not
> a good idea to open a file system (even if it's read-only) while someone
> else has it open read-write.  There's no guarantee the meta-data is
> going to be in a consistent state.

If you open a filesystem read only whilst there's another writer, the read
only domain will detect filesystem corruption and get upset.  It's not
inconceivable that the reader would actually crash but I haven't actually
heard of this happening.

Cheers,
Mark