Re: [Xen-users] Re: oom-killer keeps killing big un-tars

To: Stephan Seitz <nur-ab-sal@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: oom-killer keeps killing big un-tars
From: Andrew Thompson <xenuser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 16:31:31 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 May 2005 20:30:59 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Stephan Seitz wrote:
On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 11:43:36AM -0400, Andrew Thompson wrote:

Several times now, I've been untarring some files in my dom0 and they've been killed by the oom-killer. I originally thought it might be because

Hm, can you reproduce this with kernel 2.6.7?

I'm sort of confused. I'm currently running 2.6.11. Are you asking me to go back to 2.6.7 and try it?

May 18 00:38:49 xen Linux version 2.6.11-xen0 (root@xen) (gcc version 3.3.5-20050130 (Gentoo Linux 3.3.5.20050130-r1, ssp-3.3.5.20050130-1, pie-8.7.7.1)) #1 Fri Apr 29 11:15:24 EDT 2005

Without using xen I hit the same bug. The oom-killer was changed in
2.6.8 IIRC. On a "normal" pc with 512 MB RAM (and lots of swap) I
could hit the oom-killer creating a big tar archive (> 60GB
uncompressed) or even running samba3 and apache2 (for subversion).
Free and top didn't show any signs for running out of memory.
So 2.6.8 and 2.6.9 were quite unusable for me. In the newer kernels
the oom-killer seems to be not so aggressive anymore (at least on my
system). Google shows, that you can tweak your vm settings with
sysctl.

I believe I can still boot the original Gentoo (non-xen) kernel. I will try and reproduce it there.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/