Re: [Xen-users] xen SUSE 9.3 ReiserFS domU not finding root fs

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen SUSE 9.3 ReiserFS domU not finding root fs
From: Fernando Maior <fernando.souto.maior@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 16:21:58 -0300
Delivery-date: Fri, 13 May 2005 19:21:30 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 5/13/05, Daniel Netzer | zeroconcept.de <daniel.netzer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have trouble starting my domU on a suse 9.3 box. I use the xen that
> shipped with suse.
>
> I use file backed VMs and created the root and swap images. I used
> mkreiserfs to format the image file and installed suse 9.3 via the YaST
> module "install into directory for XEN". finally I created /etc/fstab IN
> the loop mounted image file:
>
> /dev/sda1            /                    reiserfs   defaults
>     1 1
> /dev/sda2            swap                 swap       pri=42
>     0 0
> devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5
>     0 0
> proc                 /proc                proc       defaults
>     0 0
>
> If I boot such a domU  - it panics while booting saying something like:
> "Not syncing root file system - rebooting in <1>". If I use an image
> file which was formatted with ext3 (again adjusted the /etc/fstab)
> everything works fine and SUSE is booting. After a closer look I noticed
> that the ext3 filesystem is used in ext2 mode only.
>
> How do I use ReiserFS for my unprivileged Domains? Do I need an initrd?
> How do I configure it? I tried the /boot/initrd-xen from suse and used
> the following line in my config but it doesn´t seem to work too:
>
> ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-xen"
>
> Can anybody help?
>
> thanks a lot!
> Daniel

Is it possible your dom0 initrd is not loading reiserfs module? First look
is at the /etc/sysconfig/kernel in your dom0 root file system. Mount it
and look at that file, there should be a line like:

INITRD_MODULES="reiserfs"

Also, there was a thread in the list this week about problems with the
mkinitrd, where the mkinitrd just kept using the modules for the old
non-xen kernel, instead of the xen kernel. Gerd Knorr is one of the
participants.

--
Bye,
Fernando Maior