Re: [Xen-users] xen on suse 9.3 and software raid

To: Gerd Knorr <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen on suse 9.3 and software raid
From: Robbie Dinn <robbie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:38:47 +0100
Cc: agruen@xxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 May 2005 14:38:22 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gerd Knorr wrote:
Had a look today, figured mkinitrd has a bug which causes it using the
default kernel modules, not the xen kernel ones in case you have both
-default and -xen installed (which most likely is the case).

Try the patch below, rerun mkinitrd, reboot and see whenever it works
better then.

I can confirm what Chris Epicier reported.

Your patch does indeed fix the mkinitrd bug. I looked at the contents
of the generated initrd and it now contains only the disired modules.
Thank you.

However the software raid1 (mirror) is still not working with
kernel-2.6.11.4-20a-xen from the SuSE-9.3 distribution. I guess
the mkinitrd bug isn't the source of the problem.

I tried various kernels from Kurt Garloff's web page
http://www.suse.de/~garloff/linux/xen/

Here is what I found

kernel version                   software raid1 status
kernel-2.6.11.4-20a-xen          broken
kernel-xen-2.6.8-24.14.i586.rpm  working
kernel-xen-2.6.10-20.i586.rpm    broken
kernel-xen-2.6.11.4-21.i586.rpm  broken

So I have a workaround, use kernel-xen-2.6.8-24.14.i586.rpm .

Thanks for your help.