Re: [Xen-users] Memory allocation

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Memory allocation
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 20:11:17 +0100
Cc: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 May 2005 19:48:28 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Upgraded my xen box to a gb of ram and had a bit of trouble expanding
> usage with baloon and maxmem.  I figure I'm just being blond so I cut
> straight to teh chase and tweek the memory settings in the configuration
> files for each vm.

It should work...  But you have to have set the max memory you might balloon
to (I think the parameter is mem=) on the domain's kernel command line.  If
you don't do that, Linux will make its memory map to small and it won't be
able to grow beyond its initial allocation.

> everything goes fine except for the last domU.  can't allocate memory is
> the error reported.  I check my math and I'm 5mb under my physical
> memory. I go through a couple of small reductions of memory usage to no
> avail.  after a bigger decrease on the last domU memory allocation, all
> domU's run.
>
> 1) how can one determine how much memory is really available for domU's?

xm info tells you how much is *really* free in the machine

> 2) how much memory is really used by a domU?

Basically what its allocation is + a few (smallish) book-keeping structures in
dom0 and Xen.

Xen itself can take up to about 40MB (won't be quite that large on your
machine).

> 3) in the furture, could memory be allocated as a percentage of total
> memory?

That's a simple patch, so it's quite doable.

Do you fancy starting a wishlist section on the wiki?  Or filing a "wishlist"
item in the bugzilla if such a thing exists (not sure it does at the moment).

Cheers,
mark