Re: [Xen-users] Xen and ways to install

Nils Toedtmann <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 3) Mount the empty rootdir for the new installation and install the rpm
> packages into it. "rpm" itself cannot resolve dependancies (so it's
> package list has to be "dependancy-complete"), but yum and apt-for-rpm
> can:
>
>   rpm    --root           $ROOTDIR $COMPLETE_LIST_OF_RPM_PACKAGES
>
>   yum    --installroot    $ROOTDIR $LIST_OF_RPM_PACKAGES
>
>   apt-get -o RPM::RootDir=$ROOTDIR $LIST_OF_RPM_PACKAGES
>
> After doing so, create/edit the usual files (fstab, hosts, resolv.conf,
> inittab, network-configuration, ...), rename /lib/tls, umount & boot.
>
> I install all my RH/FC/CentOS VMs with apt-get.

OK. Thus there are basically two ways of installing
Linux-based dom-Us (booting a pre-generated image or
bootstrapping via net-install/apt-get).
BTW: Can Gentoo be bootstrapped like this?

But how can Net- and FreeBSD be installed (on a
Linux-based dom-0)? Since I've downloaded the Demo-CD,
I've seen, that it's possible.

I guess, that the *BSD-images, which are included on the
Demo-Cd, can be used for "normal" installations as well,
right (although on the Demo-CD these are cow-volumes)?

by
Töns
--
There is no safe distance.