Re: [Xen-users] Xen partitions

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Shahzad Chohan <shahzad.chohan@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen partitions
From: Mark Williamson <maw48@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:37:29 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:01:54 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> kernel ="/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1226_FC4xenU"
> memory = 100
> name = "fc-4"
> nics = 1
> disk = ['phy:hda7,hda7,w']
> root = "/dev/hda7 ro"

> /dev/hda7             /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> /dev/devpts             /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> /dev/shm                /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/proc               /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> /dev/sys                /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda12              swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

> My question is how did the domain work and boot up. I thought I had to
> reconfigure the file in the /etc/xen/ directory and /etc/fstab in the
> domain to be sda, e.g. sda1.

No, that's fine.  The syntax for disk entries in the config is: 'dom0_device,
domU_device, r/w".  You're exporting the dom0's hda7 (the real hda7) to the
guest as hda7.  The fstab matched so everything works.  (unless you export a
device that looks like hda12 to the guest you won't have any swap, however).

There's no rule that says you can't export things to the guest whilst
retaining their real device names.

You could change your config file to say:
disk = ['phy:hda7,hda7,w', 'phy:hda12,hda12,w']
to make swap work in the domain.  Then your domain fstab will work unchanged
under Xen and natively. (NB, do make sure you're not also using hda12 as swap
in dom0, otherwise things will get nasty)

HTH,
Mark