Re: [Xen-users] xen and fedora, FC4 T1

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen and fedora, FC4 T1
From: "Fernando Maior" <fernando@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:11:36 -0300 (BRST)
Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:13:21 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi Fernando
>
> In answer to your statements:
>
> 1) I just ran with the default partitioning. When you say two root
> partitions how is that possible? Do you mean install a root parition in
> a separate partition, instead of using the fedora.img?

Let me explain. You have the dom0 Linux installed, and it runs using
your default root partition. I did partition my hd into the following
partitions (I am using SuSE, so I am using /dev, not /udev or else):

/dev/sda1 (that is /boot for dom0),
/dev/sda2 (that is / for dom0),
/dev/sda3 (that is the lvm for the remain of the hd).

Inside the lvm partition (/dev/sda3), created as the v0 volume group,
I did the following volumes:

/dev/v0/vm0swap (that is swap for dom0),
/dev/v0/vm1root (that is / for dom1),
/dev/v0/vm1swap (that is swap for dom1),
/dev/v0/vm2root (that is / for dom2),
/dev/v0/vm2swap (that is swap for dom2),

and so on.

Remember, you have virtual hosts inside you hostess host. For each
virtual host, they think they are alone in the machine. So they do
need to have their root and swap as separate partitions/files.

> 2) where do you configure the different memories? The only one I knew
> was the rawhide domain I was creating.

Memories are configured in start time, at the /etc/xen directory,
using config files. Try looking into that directory and you will
see some samples. Also, try RTFM :)

> 3) I thought it would use the swap space allready created in:
>
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on / type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> /dev/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> /dev/devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
> sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)

That is for dom0 only. Think each domain as a separate machine,
and install the dom0 with minimum assets. Then, install the other
domains using the root/swap partitions in lvm.

> Update: I've managed to get over the problem with the memore issue. I
> put a memory limit on the kernel line in the grub.conf file. I think
> this is how you limit the Domain0 memory size, am I right?

Yes. Please, read the manual on line - it has explanations on how
to do it correct. You should PLAN your setup, each virtual machine
needs to be planned in both memory and root/swap usage, THEN you
start partitioning with LVM and configuring memory for dom0 and
other domains.

> But I now have a kernel panic. It says:
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00" or
> unknown-block(0,0)
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)

Well, probably you should be using /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
instead of mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00... Try that.

--
Bye,
Fernando Maciel Souto Maior

AVISO-------------------------------------------------------------
Esta mensagem pode conter informacao confidencial ou privilegiada.
Se voce nao for o destinatario ou a pessoa autorizada a receber
esta mensagem, nao pode usar, copiar ou divulgar as informacoes
nela contidas ou tomar qualquer acao baseada nessas informacoes.
Se voce recebeu esta mensagem por engano, favor avisar o remetente
imediatamente, respondendo o e-mail e em seguida apagando-o.
Obrigado pela cooperacao.

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based
on any information herein. If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by replying to this
e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.