From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Amitabh Tamhane" <amitabh_2k@xxxxxxxxxxx>,<xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: <ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] NFS Root FS Prob
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 07:30:51 +0100

> I have my disk file stored on a NFS server.
> I have tried these two approaches:
>
> A) Mounting the NFS directory in RW mode on a local directory
> and specifying in my config file the complete path of my disk file.
>
>     xm create configFile returned with this error:
>     Error: Error creating domain: vbd: Segment not found:
> uname=file:/MountPoint/diskfile

I know a number of people that use such a setup, but I wouldn't
recommend it. Using a loopback file stored over NFS can cause serious
memory pressure in dom0 under high write load (it's a native Linux
problem).

To figure out what's going wrong for you, use losetup to attach the file
to a loop device manually, then use phy:loopX in the vbd setup.

> B) As per docs, I then tried NFS Root:
>
>     I removed the disk="" line from my config file and put in
>     root = "/dev/nfsd"
>     nfs_server = "IP"
>     nfs_root = "/PathOfDiskFile/OnNfsServer"
>
>     I have already pre-configured static ip, netmask, gateway etc
>
>     I am getting these errors during domain boot-up:
>
>     VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
>     VFS: Cannot open root device "nfsd" or unknown-block(2,0)
>     Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>     Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(2,0)
>     <0>Rebooting in 1 seconds..

Shoot be root=/dev/nfs

Ian